What happens if I don’t have a co-ownership agreement? Can I force my co-owner to sell?

Where the co-ownership is not working out, the common sense approach would be to sell the property and divide the proceeds of sale.

This is normally done by agreement, but if not possible, one of the parties may bring an action for partition and in that action seek an order for ‘sale in lieu of partition’.

This is common in the context of bankruptcy when the other co-owners will not cooperate with the Trustee in Bankruptcy in a sale of the property in dividing the proceeds.

Equity will consider things such as contribution, improvements etc.